What You Need to Know about a Notice of Intent to Offset

Hey there, fellow Californians! Today, we’re diving into a topic that might sound a bit intimidating but fear not – we’re here to break it down for you in plain English. So, grab a cup of coffee, and let’s chat about the Notice of Intent to Offset.

First off, what exactly is this notice? Well, think of it as a heads-up from the IRS or California’s Franchise Tax Board (FTB) that they’re planning to take some action to collect on a tax debt you owe. It’s like a warning bell saying, “Hey, we’re going to use your tax refund or other federal or state payments to cover what you owe.”

Now, receiving one of these notices can definitely cause a bit of stress, but the key here is not to panic. Instead, let’s take a closer look at what you need to know:

    1. What Triggers a Notice of Intent to Offset?
      The most common reason for receiving this notice is unpaid taxes. If you owe money to the IRS or the FTB and haven’t paid up despite multiple reminders, they might decide to take action by offsetting your tax refund or other payments.
    2. How Much Can They Offset?
      The amount they can take depends on how much you owe. They’ll typically try to collect the full amount of your debt, but they can also take a portion of your refund or payments if the debt exceeds what you’re receiving.
    3. What Should You Do if You Receive One?
      First things first, don’t ignore it! Ignoring the notice won’t make the problem go away – in fact, it could make things worse. Instead, take action. Review the notice carefully and make sure the information is accurate. If you believe there’s a mistake or if you’re facing financial hardship, you have options.
    4. Your Options
      • Pay in Full: If you have the means to pay the debt in full, this is often the simplest solution. It stops the offset process and prevents any further collection action.
      • Set Up a Payment Plan: If paying in full isn’t feasible, you can work with the IRS or FTB to set up a payment plan. This allows you to pay off the debt over time in more manageable installments.
      • Request an Offset Reversal: If you believe the offset would cause you significant financial hardship, you can request a reversal. You’ll need to provide evidence to support your claim, so be prepared to explain your situation in detail.
      • Seek Professional Help: Dealing with tax matters can be complex, especially when facing collection actions. Consider seeking help from a    tax professional, like an Enrolled Agent (that’s us!), who can guide you through the process and represent your interests.
    5. Take Steps to Avoid Future Notices
      Once you’ve resolved the current issue, it’s important to take steps to avoid facing a Notice of Intent to Offset in the future. Stay on top of your tax obligations, file your returns on time, and communicate with the IRS or FTB if you’re unable to pay your taxes in full.

Remember, receiving a Notice of Intent to Offset doesn’t mean the end of the world. It’s a signal that it’s time to take action and address your tax debt. By understanding your options and seeking help if needed, you can navigate this process with confidence.

At My Tax Problems Solved, we’re here to support you every step of the way. As Enrolled Agents, we specialize in tax representation and resolution, helping individuals and businesses in San Diego and across California find solutions to their tax problems. If you’ve received a Notice of Intent to Offset or are facing other tax issues, don’t hesitate to reach out. We’re here to help!

Stay informed, stay proactive, and remember – you’ve got this!

Until next time.

Use this link to schedule a free 30-minute Discovery call: https://bookme.name/mytaxproblemssolved/tax-debt-resolution and we’ll gift you our book ” How To Fight Back Against The IRS “. All we ask is you pay the postage. Or you can order the book on Amazon here (How To Fight Back Against The IRS: A Step-by-Step Guide for Californians)



This blog post is intended for informational purposes only and should not be considered professional tax or financial advice. For personalized guidance regarding your tax situation, it is recommended to consult with a qualified tax professional.

Founder and principal Enrolled Agent at My Tax Problems Solved. Karla brings a deep well of expertise and a commitment to precision in tax representation to the team.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Discover stress-free taxes with us let our expertise simplify the complex for you.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
My Tax Problems Solved helps taxpayers by finding the best solution to their tax problems so that they can have control over their financial life with a great client experience. 

© My Tax Problems Solved – All Rights Reserved – 2024

Follow Us